Ph.D., Geography, University of Texas, Austin
M.A., Geography, University of Texas, Austin
B.A., Anthropology, University of California, Santa Cruz
Neolithic and Predynastic habitation of the eastern desert of Egypt; human uses of caves in Madagascar, Mexico, Malaysia and Indonesia; the global narcotics trade.
Emphasis: cultural ecology, Middle East, arid lands biogeography, indigenous peoples in protected area management, geography of caves
- J.J. Hobbs. 2017. Heritage in the Lived Environment of the United Arab Emirates and the Middle East Regions. International Journal of Architectural Research 11:2. http://dx.doi.org/10.26687/archnet-ijar.v11i2.1240
- J.J. Hobbs. 2016. My Bedouin Way-Fellow. Arab World Geographer 19: 184–198.
- J.J. Hobbs. 2014. Knut Krzywinski, Gidske L. Andersen, Mohamed Talib, Richard H. Pierce, and Ahmed Saadallah. “Acacia Trees on the Cultural Landscapes of the Red Sea Hills.” Biodiversity and Conservation 23 (November 1, 2014): 2923 – 2943. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10531-014-0755-x/fulltext.html
- Gidske L.Andersen, Knut Krzywinski, Mohamed Talib, Ahmed Saadallah, Joseph J. Hobbs, and Richard H. Pierce. “Traditional Nomadic Tending of Trees in the Red Sea Hills.” Journal of Arid Environments 106 (July 1, 2014): 36 – 44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaridenv.2014.02.009
- J.J. Hobbs. 2014. Bedouin Place Names in the Eastern Desert of Egypt. Nomadic Peoples 18: 123–146.
- J.J. Hobbs. 2014. About the Egyptian Deserts and Their Peoples. In Collected Papers on the Journey Commemorating Prince Kamal El-Din’s Expedition to Gilf Kebir, Western Desert. Cairo: Expedition Press.
- J.J. Hobbs. 2013. Ritual Uses of Caves in West Malaysia. In Sacred Darkness: A Global Perspective on the Ritual Use of Caves, edited by Moyes, Holley, 331–341. Boulder: University Press of Colorado.
- J.J. Hobbs. 2008. World Regional Geography. Belmont, California: Cengage.
- J.J. Hobbs. 2008. “Ritual Uses of Caves in West Malaysia.” Chapter in Journeys Into the Dark Zone: Cross Cultural Perspectives on Ritual Uses of Caves, edited by Holley Moyes. University Press of Colorado.
- J.J. Hobbs and With F. Tsunemi. 2007. “Soft Sedentarization: Bedouin Tourist Stations as a Response to Drought in Egypt’s Eastern Desert”. Human Ecology 35 (2).
- J.J. Hobbs. 2005. “The Geographic Dimensions of Al-Qa’ida Rhetoric.” Geographical Review 95(3):301-327.
- J.J. Hobbs. 2004. “Problems in the Harvest of Edible Birds’ Nests in Sarawak and Sabah, Malaysian Borneo.” Biodiversity and Conservation 13: 2209-2226.
- J.J. Hobbs. 2001. “Exploration and Discovery With the Bedouin of Egypt.” Geographical Review 91(1-2):285-294.
- J.J. Hobbs. 1998. “Troubling Fields: The Opium Poppy in Egypt.” Geographical Review 88(1):64-85.
- J.J. Hobbs. 1996. "Speaking with People in Egypt's St. Katherine National Park." Geographical Review 86(1):1-21.
- J.J. Hobbs. 1995. Mount Sinai. Austin: University of Texas Press. 376 pp. American University in Cairo Press Edition, 1996.
- J.J. Hobbs. 1989. Bedouin Life in the Egyptian Wilderness.; Austin: University of Texas Press. 165 pp.