Ph.D. Geography, University of Minnesota
M.S. Geography, University of Wyoming
B.A. Geography, University of Missouri
climate-vegetation interactions, the biogeographical manifestation of climate change in forest ecosystems, the role of bioclimatic thresholds in driving vegetation change, influence of climate on process-pattern interactions in vegetation communities.
biogeography, macroecology, dendrochronology, climate change, forest dynamics, climatology, landscape ecology
- Elliott, G.P. & Petruccelli, C.A. 2018. Tree recruitment at the treeline across the Continental Divide in the Northern Rocky Mountains, USA: the role of spring snow and autumn climate. Plant Ecology & Diversity. https://doi.org/10.1080/17550874.2018.1487475
- Elliott, G.P. 2017. Treeline ecotones. The International Encyclopedia of Geography. 1–10.
- Elliott, G.P. & Cowell, C.M. 2015. Slope aspect mediates fine-scale tree establishment patterns at upper treeline during wet and dry periods of the 20th Century. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, 47: 679–690. doi.org/10.1657/AAAR0014-025
- Berland, Adam, and Grant P. Elliott. 2014. "Unexpected Connections between Residential Urban Forest Diversity and Vulnerability to Two Invasive Beetles." Landscape Ecology 29 (January 30, 2014): 141-152.
- Elliott, G.P. 2012a. Extrinsic regime shifts drive abrupt changes in regeneration dynamics at upper treeline in the Rocky Mountains, USA. Ecology, 93: 1614–1625.
- Elliott, G. P. 2012b. The role of thresholds and fine-scale processes in driving upper treeline dynamics in the Bighorn Mountains, Wyoming. Physical Geography 33:129–145.
- Elliott, G.P. and Kipfmueller, K.F. 2011. Multi-scale influences of climate on upper treeline dynamics in the Southern Rocky Mountains, USA: Evidence of intra-regional variability and bioclimatic thresholds in response to 20th century warming. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 101: 1181-1203.
- Elliott, G.P. 2011. Influences of 20th century warming at upper treeline contingent on local-scale interactions: evidence from a latitudinal gradient in the Rocky Mountains, USA. Global Ecology and Biogeography 20: 46–57.
- Kipfmueller, K.F., Elliott, G.P., Larson, E.R, and Salzer, M.W. 2010. An assessment of the dendroclimatic potential of three conifer species in northern Minnesota. Tree Ring Research 66: 113-126.
- Elliott, G.P. and Kipfmueller, K.F. 2010. Multi-scale influences of slope aspect and spatial pattern on ecotonal dynamics at upper treeline in the Southern Rocky Mountains, USA. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research 42: 45-56.
- Elliott, G.P. and Larson, E.R. 2009. Disturbance and successional dynamics in an old-growth white pine-mixed hardwood forest in the Great Lakes region of Minnesota. The Geographical Bulletin 50: 17–35.
- Ziegler, S.S., Larson, E.R., Rauchfuss, J., and Elliott, G.P. 2008. Tree establishment during dry spells at an oak savanna in Minnesota. Tree-Ring Research 64: 53–60.
- Elliott, G.P. and Baker, W.L. 2004. Quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) at treeline: a century of change in the San Juan Mountains, Colorado, U.S.A. Journal of Biogeography, 31: 733–745.