C. Mark Cowell
Ph.D., Geography, University of Georgia
M.S., Geography, The Pennsylvania State University
B.S., Geography, Michigan State University
vegetation dynamics, presettlement vegetation patterns, disturbance regimes in eastern deciduous forests, human impacts on vegetation, application of GIS to analyzing landscape pattern and process, Nature/Society relationships, and environmental ethics. Cowell was one of several delegates from the Association of American Geographers to the COP15 climate change conference in Copenhagen, Dec 2009. The blog he co-wrote from the conference is here.
Emphasis: biogeography, anthropogenic landscape change, GIS and landscape ecology, field methods in physical geography
- Cowell, C.M. and Urban, M.A. (2010) The changing geography of the US water budget: 20th century patterns and 21st century projections. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, special issue on Climate Change. DOI 10.1080/00045608.2010.497117 link to graphics
- Cowell, C.M. Hoalst-Pullen, N. and Jackson, M.T. (2010) The limited role of canopy gaps in the successional dynamics of a mature mixed Quercus forest remnant. Journal of Vegetation Science 21: 201-212. DOI: 10.1111/j.1654-1103.2009.01137.x
- Bendix, J. and Cowell, C.M. (2009) Impacts of wildfire on the composition and structure of riparian forests in southern California. Ecosystems DOI 10.1007/s10021-009-9303-z.
- Bendix, J. and Cowell, C.M. (2009) Fires, floods and woody debris: Interactions between biotic and geomorphic processes. Geomorphology 134: 215-222. DOI 10.1016/ j.geomorph. 2009.09.043
- Cowell, C.M. and Hayes, J.J. (2007) Structure, history and dynamics of a mature oak-beech forest in western Indiana. Journal of the Torrey Botanical Society 134: 215-222.
- Cowell, C.M. and Parker, A.J. (2004) Biogeography in the Annals. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 94: 256-268.
- Cowell, C.M. (2003) Geographic Isolation: Origins of the Guns, Germs and Steel model. Antipode 35: 808-813. DOI: 10.1046/j.1467-8330.2003.00353.x
- Cowell, C.M. and Jackson, M.T. (2002) Vegetation change in a forest remnant at the eastern presettlement prairie margin. Natural Areas Journal 22: 53-60.
- Cowell, C.M. and Dyer, J. M. (2002) Vegetation development in a modified riparian environment: Human imprints on an Allegheny River wilderness. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 92: 189-202.
- Cowell, C.M. (1998) Historical Change in Vegetation and Disturbance on the Georgia Piedmont. American Midland Naturalist 140:78-89.