Apply to MA Program
How to Apply to the MA Program in Geography
Deadline for Fall 2017 Admission: January 15, 2017
Applying to the M.A. program in Geography is a two-step process. Applicants must apply to the University of Missouri Graduate School online and also complete a supplemental Department application that is uploaded to the online Graduate School application.
- Graduate School Application (online)The primary application is submitted online through the Graduate School. All other elements of the application including the supplemental Department application, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, official GRE scores, and transcripts are uploaded to this application. The Department of Geography has access to this information after you have completed this submission. Additional elements of the Graduate School application include:
- An Application Fee is submitted with the Graduate School application. The amount is $55 for domestic and $75 for international students. The application fee is non-refundable and is not applicable to any future fees.
- Official Transcripts of all Previous College or University Work: Please request that each college or university send official transcripts to MU Graduate Admission Office, 210 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211. Transcripts from the applicant must be in a sealed envelope. All transcripts become the property of MU and will be destroyed after one year if the applicant does not enroll. If you attended MU, we will obtain your transcripts and you do not need to do so, although you do need to provide transcripts of any coursework taken after your earlier MU enrollment.
- International Students: An official TOEFL or IELTS score is required for every applicant whose native language is not English. The minimum TOEFL score requirement for the Department of Geography is 500 (paper) and 80 (internet). MU's code is 6875.
- Supplemental Department Application (RTF)IMPORTANT NOTE: All required documents (see list below) are to be uploaded to your MU Graduate School Application before you submit your application. Once you have submitted your application you will not be able to upload any additional documents. (This does not apply to letters of reference. Referees will still be able to submit references for you even if you've already submitted your application. However, you do need to request the references before submitting your application.) The department application requires the following items:
- Department application form (RTF). Click on the RTF link at left to download the application form (Rich Text Format file type). Complete the form using a word processor and upload it to the "Supplemental Information" section of your online Graduate School application.
- Statement of Purpose: Compose an essay of 1-3 pages that describes your interest in the discipline of Geography, and your motivation for enrolling in the Geography MA program at the University of Missouri. Upload your Statement to the "Supplemental Information" section of your Graduate School application. For more information, refer to instructions included in the department application form.
- Transcripts: Unofficial transcripts must be uploaded to your online MU Graduate School application. (Note that these are in addition to the official set mailed to the Graduate School.)
- Official GRE Scores: Official GRE scores are required of all applicants. When scheduling a date to take the test, allow enough time for test scores to be included in the application materials. Be sure to designate the University of Missouri and the Geography program as locations to receive the scores. In general, GRE testing locations will not allow you to bring any paper or other notes into the test room but will instead provide you with a list of schools and degree programs to choose from. After sufficient time has passed for the scores to be sent, you may wish to contact the Geography Department to make sure of their receipt.
- Letters of recommendation: Three people familiar with your academic qualifications should submit reference letters on your behalf through the online MU Graduate School Application system.
Questions? Contact Dr. Matt Foulkes, Director of Graduate Studies
The Geography Department bases admission decisions in large part on the applicant's 1) record of scholarship as an undergraduate, 2) GRE scores, 3) letters of recommendation, 4) statement of purpose, and 5) compatibility of scholarly interests with those of the faculty. In general, the minimum undergraduate GPA should exceed 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale), and combined verbal and quantitative GRE scores should exceed 1000. International students must submit TOEFFL scores that demonstrate a strong command of the English language (e.,g. 80 internet-based).
Admission for Fall 2016 is now closed. For Fall 2017 admission, all required materials must be received by January 15, 2017 for full consideration (including assistantship support). Applications received after January 15 will not be considered for assistantships. The final application deadline for all Fall 2017 applicants is April 1, 2017.
In very rare circumstances, new students may be accepted for a spring semester start date, but this is typically not allowed due to the fact that the sequence of first-year required courses (Geography 8750 and 8760) begins in the fall semester.